We are the Des Moines Mothers of Multiples (DMMOM)!
As a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, our purpose is to serve Des Moines area MoMs with support, love, and camaraderie as we navigate the world with twins, triplets, quads or more. We a are local chapter of Multiples of America (MOA).
We are a non-profit organization funded by membership dues, donations, and fundraisers. Charitable donations are gratefully accepted and are tax-deductible. Charitable donations can be made at any time by sending a check or money order to:
DMMOM, PO Box 8205, Des Moines, IA 50301
The Des Moines Mothers of Twins Club, Inc. was founded in 1959 by Joan Hansen and Shirley Clark.
Our name was changed to the Des Moines Mothers of Twins and Triplets Club, Inc. in 1991, then to the Des Moines Mothers of Multiples (DMMOM) in 1997 to better recognize the needs of our mothers of triplets and quadruplets.
MOA is a support group for parents of multiples and is a national network of local clubs whose basic purposes are research, education and support of multiple birth children and their families. Founded in 1960, MOA is a network of more than 450 state and local clubs representing over 26,000 individual parents of multiples – twins, triplets, quadruplets and more.
One of our commitments to our community is to participate in various philanthropic projects. These activities may take place at our monthly meetings, or they may be events out in the community at a separate time.
Some of the various projects we have completed in the past include:
- Providing care packages with miscellaneous supplies for parents with babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Mercy Medical Center and Blank Children's Hospital.
- Festival of Trees and Lights to support Blank Children's Hospital
- Providing meals and other support to members of DMMOM who are in need.
- Members visit Mercy Medical Center and Iowa Methodist Mediacal Center to share wisdom and answer questions of families who are expecting multiples.
- We have provided new backpacks and school supplies for foster children in the Des Moines area. Donations given by members are matched by DMMOM.
- We've made new fleece blankets for the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit patients at the hospital. Donations of fleece given by members are matched by DMMOM.
- We adopt families for Christmas, giving items they are in need of and food pantry items.
Some of our moms during our annual Family Pool Party.